Thursday, May 3, 2012

Poor little Frankenkitty!

A few months back we noticed that my eldest cat, Isis, was slowly growing a lump under the skin on her forehead. We had the vet check it back in December. She recommended we have it removed and sent to a lab. We had time to save up for the surgery since it was so slow growing. We had the lump removed last week and it went very smoothly. Still, my poor kitty came home with a huge suture covering most of the top of her skull. They wanted to remove past the borders of the mass just in case it turned out to be malignant. They did a great job with nice tight stitches. We just had her recheck this morning and they say she will be ready to have them removed next week.

In the 13 years I've had Isis she has never needed anything but a couple teeth removed. She was spayed and healed up before I adopted her. She's never even been sick. This would be my first time seeing her in recovery. I don't "speak cat" though I love my felines dearly. Seeing her the first night with the fresh sutures and doped up high on pain killers I was near frantic with worry. The other cats have all had issues before. Zeek was spayed after we adopted her. Fiend is a bundle of health issues. I "speak dog" so I know instantly how dogs are doing even if I don't know exactly what's wrong. I had no idea what a distressed Isis would look like. Thankfully, Author is an old hand at nursing recovering cats. That first night I hovered over my cat while Author watched Isis and reassured me that all was going very well. Another win for the combined skills of a poly household!

No comments:

Post a Comment