Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sock Summit 2011

I'm a knitter. Hah! That is the first time I've really said that! I've always said "I'm learning to knit" or I'm trying to knit" but I think now I can really say I'm a knitter. Why? Because of the Sock Summit.

The Sock Summit is a conference every other year in Portland, Oregon (yay local to me) where it is all about knitting socks. Yes, there is a HUGE conference just about knitting socks. Their tagline is "Taking sock knitting almost too far." It is a thing. People come from all over. There are 4 days of classes for all kinds of things. There is also an amazing marketplace full of vendors. I'm not enough of a devotee to go more than one day but I did attend a 1hr class this year. I also went shopping!! I got some great punky knitting-related buttons and enough yarn to keep me happy for at least a couple months...maybe.

People outside of this kind of thing would think that a knitting, especially a sock knitting, convention would be full of little old ladies. It isn't so. Knitting is in with the DIY culture and, therefore, the Sock Summit was filled with tattoos, piercings, wild-colored hair and punk sensibility. I felt right at home.

Here are the buttons I managed to get!
Always!


Creepy Knitter!


The skull bag is my notions keeper. :)











And my new yarn to add to the stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment